How we calculate your charges
This page outlines how Direct Debit payments are calculated and why payments can change.
When we review your payment schedules:
If you pay by Direct Debit, to ensure you’re paying the right amount for your energy, and not building up a too much of a credit or debt, we review your account at least once a year. If needed we will adjust your payments automatically.
Depending on your energy usage the amount you pay could increase or decrease. We will always give you at least 2 weeks notice in writing of any change.
What would make my payment change:
Some of the common reasons include:
- You are using more or less energy than you did previously
- There is difference between the amount of energy you said you were using during your quote compared to what is actually being used
- Your previous supplier has provided us with information on the previous usage at your property that differs from what we hold
- Your account is billing based on estimated readings due to us not having actual reads from a smart meter, a meter engineer visit or yourself
- Your tariff has changed to a cheaper or more expensive tariff, or a fixed tariff is coming to an end soon and we don’t yet know which of our tariffs you will choose next.
How we calculate your payment:
We do this by:
- Looking at the current account balance from your previous bill.
- Look at the last time you were billed and taking into account any usage between that point and now.
- Taking into account any payments made since you last bill and now
- Consider the time of year, for example we would expect your account to show a credit balance coming into winter and a debit balance following winter
- Project your consumption for the next 365 days, based on how much energy you’ve used in the past.
- If you’re on a Fixed price and this is due to end within the next 365 days, we’ll apply our Standard Variable Tariff rates for the reminder of the 365 days when predicting what your monthly payment should be. This is because we can’t assume you’ll renew onto another Fixed price and our Standard Variable Tariff is the product you will move onto if you don’t agree a new Fixed price with us.
This all then outlines how much you should be paying each month by Direct Debit.
If this figure is lower than you’re currently paying we’ll reduce your Direct Debit payment and if it’s higher we’ll increase your Direct Debit payment .
What to do if you need more information or help:
You can call us on 0800 030 4567. We’re here Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and Saturdays 9am to 5pm.