Businesses could make energy savings of up to 10 to 20% by using some basic low or no-cost energy efficiency measures. With a little bit of investment, even greater savings can be made.
At Robin Hood Energy we’re committed to helping all of our business customers becoming more energy efficient. We’ve developed a range of specific energy efficiency tips to help your business reduce its energy costs and help it become more sustainable.
We have a lot of help and advice below with dedicated energy efficiency officers to help you save money across different areas of your business, from lighting to heating. We can also show you how to implement a business energy efficiency action plan.
Energy saving for SMEs
- Switch off lights in unoccupied rooms and/ or install sensors. This could lead to a reduction in lighting use, when installed properly. Use movement detectors to control lighting in toilets, meeting rooms and other areas that are not in constant use
- Open the blinds let the sun shine in, and switch off the lights.
- Try Retrofit lamps if possible. Full lighting refits are more expensive than retrofits but can pay for themselves over a number of years.
- Always try and use low-energy light bulbs
- Replace standard fluorescent tubes with slim-line tubes.
- Make sure all the other office equipment – printers, photocopiers, faxes, display TVs and projectors are set to energy saver mode. Put simple timers on to make it even easier to switch off overnight and at weekends. Also phone and laptop chargers, desk-lamp transformers can all be switched off when not in use.
- Put one person in charge of having access to heating controls.
- Nominate an energy lead within your business and work closely with them. Some large organisations have Heating Policies given to every employee which state what the temperatures and times for heating & cooling are.
- Air conditioning should be from about 19 to 24 C this is a good medium temperature and will prevent constant heating and cooling!
- Fridges shouldn’t be freezing; set it at an adequate temperature
- Try to make sure other drinks machines are off overnight and at weekends.
- Replace the kettle or boiler with an instant boiling water dispenser.
We’re keen to help our business customers become more energy efficient so you have lower bills to pay.
Visit Nottingham Energy Partnership or Carbon Trust to find these tips and more.